DS450 Ride Review - Can-AM DS450 Forum - DS-450Central Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Taken from YFZCentral.Com

So like I said before, our local dealer got ahold of a prototype DS450. We were able to test it (my brother and I, among a few others). I brought my 06yfz out to compare it to. We were unable to convince them to allow us to take it to our motocross track (and its a good thing too, otherwise we would have gotten hurt...more on that later).

I'm not registered on DS450 central and I wanted to discuss this as it relates to competing with a yfz anyway so that is why it is posted on YFZ Central.

Well, enough background, on to the good stuff.
First off, its not going to destroy the YFZ (yay!).
Here are some things we noticed.
Power: excellent power. In stock trim it has more power than a stock yfz, and it has noticeably more torque. It doesn't seem to rev very high at all. I think the cutoff is 9800 or something like it but I bet it cuts off way earlier than that when we rode it because it seemed like it didn't rev high enough. We didn't get a chance to test out the top end power on it because space was somewhat limited but the bottom end power is excellent. We dragged my yfz (rossier pipe, air box lid off with K&N filter and larger flange, new 18in turf tamers and 15/37 gearing) against it in the grass. It was tough to get the timing down right because it was just my brother and I but we did many drags and it is pretty close in a 200-300ft drag. With a rolling start, the DS loses, but on a regular start, the DS would launch out of the hole and then it wouldn't pull on the yfz. I think it is mainly the tires that provided the separation but there is no doubt in my mind that the DS has an incredible amount of power compared to a stock yfz.
The computer on the handlebars was great, it read tach and speed at the same time and it can be switched to many other things (lap times, fastest speed...ect). Very easy to read and even told you when you were in neutral/gear.
So, Power=amazing.
Well, thats about the only good thing on this quad...

It handled like crap.
The suspension was much worse than a stock yfz suspension (my bro made an adequate comment by saying it was just like having 400ex suspension). We didn't have time to tune the suspension but I doubt that it will be able to come close to a yfz suspension even with tuning it.
The riding position was even worse. I felt as if I was sitting right above the front tires as I rode. It is way too tall and makes you sit too far forward. Cornering with it sucked then because of suspension and riding position that we had to really lean off the quads to prevent it from putting so much weight on the outside front tire. Imagine having to ride your YFZ while sitting on the gas tank (with the bars a little further forward than they are). That is what the DS was like. It needs to be lowered a good 2 inches and then something needs to be done to move the rider back as well.
The rear of the quad seems to sit as high if not higher than the front (which causes the rider to sit so far forward when riding). I think if the rear was lowered more then the riding position would change significantly. Also, moving the bars towards the rider would be an improvement.

This quad is NOT ready to go out on a race track. The handling was so bad that we would have for surely crashed on our track.

One thing we noticed was the radiator in front of the frame. Very vulnerable in this position. If you happen to rear-end someone, their rear grab bar is going to smash right into the radiator and you will be screwed. It also sucks in that position because it will get packed with mud/dirt in any kind of racing situation.

Traction was good with those tires and it complimented the power well.
Rear brakes were alright. The front brakes were excellent. We were able to do stoppies in the grass and the front brakes had a great feel to them.

Starting this beast was an absolute pain. I don't know if maybe we were doing something wrong or not but it took forever for it to fire. We started it much like we start our yfz's (with the exception of now being that I have a kicker) and it didn't want to start.

As far as the motocross scene is concerned...don't expect it to start dominating the local circuits. At the very minimum it will need 18in rear tires, and either 50in front/rear or at least lowered seat height by 2 inches, preferably both. Not to mention that the suspension will have to be either redone or new stuff put on.
But, if you do get that stuff, lowered/wider...and then put a pipe on it , I think it is going to rip.

Our dealer said they were going to be $400 more than the yfz's for MSRP. He also said that ALL the 08 yfz's come with the hi/lo speed shocks like the SE ones had last year??? Is that right?

Well, thats about all I can think of now. Feel free to ask any question about anything I missed.
Oh yeah, here are the pics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 03:06 PM

nice, that last pic sure is ugly though!!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 03:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to Punk'd
Hmm.. well the ride height is adjustable and shocks would be a first for me to replace anyway racing XC and all. I think the ds450 looks alot better without the lights. And trust me.. there will be an aftermarket company that will do something to protect that radaitor.

Atvriders.com said it handles real good and a buddy of mine said it handles and feels really comfortable. Its all personal prefrence. Im sure its weird coming from a yfz because thats what your used to. Im used to my 450R so whenever I sit on a diffrent bike I feel like (this thing is weird) Takes getting used to.

Good write up though, thanks for sharing.

Soon to come DS450!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 12:19 AM

Kind of an odd review. I would like to read one that is in comparison to a 450r, considering they are way more comfortable than a yfz in the woods. Everything else I have read has said that the handling is amazing.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 12:31 PM

You know, at first I was going to say it was just a sour grapes write up from a YFZ fan, but then I realized that yes, everyone has a different preference, and in this case, they prefer the YFZ. The telling thing was when they commented on the power and compared it to thier mildly modified YFZ and said that it couldn't pull it. That said, we all know that YFZ's respond very well to basic mods so this would likely be a different scenario if the DS had the same mods and responded equally to them.

As for the handling and suspension feel, that is very subjective. Every comment on the shocks I have read are about how they were able to get a good amount of sag, excellent control over smaller bumps and still could handle 60 and 70ft jumps with ease. I have ridden all the current Japanese 450's and they all felt very different from one another, so this is just another case of different feel. The handling is another story of which I have heard several comments about how this thing turns. They designed it to be planted unless you need to get the front end light. The front end sticks and doesn't push which is standard fare for most stock quads. This is more of a racing setup in that you control the steering with more throttle, so if your're in an oversteer situation, you can add more throttle to loosen it up. Again, it's all subjective and there is no right or wrong absolute, just what works for each person, and again, if you're a serious racer, you'll have adjustable a-arms anyway to dial in your feel.

Riding position is again, subjective in that everyone likes different things. I feel that the YFZ and KFX suit smaller riders better and the LTR and TRX fit larger riders better. This seems to fall in the middle. The only thiing I heard from taller riders was that they wanted a longer steering stem, which again is preference. I'm 5'10" and I put on a +2 on my Honda which already had a higher bar height, but that's my comfort zone. I will say that Can-Am has a product line like GTYR where you can get 1" risers, nerfs and other things for your DS.

Again, there is no absolute, but I feel that there will be a fair amount of people out there that chose the DS, are happy with it, and certianly will win races with it, and moreover, if it get's the other companies off their butts to get with the program that the 450's need to be like their 2 wheeled bretheren, then goodie for us.

TPR
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 10:58 PM

yeah, it seems like a good quad, but it just looks ugly; they tried to make it look like the ltr, but just a little different. thats my opinion, and, oh, hi! im new here, and im most commoly known on project blaster. ( same name. ) i have a 1999 blaster, and an 05 yz 85
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
yeah, it seems like a good quad, but it just looks ugly; they tried to make it look like the ltr, but just a little different. thats my opinion, and, oh, hi! im new here, and im most commoly known on project blaster. ( same name. ) i have a 1999 blaster, and an 05 yz 85

So because its ugly means its not a good quad? lol

Soon to come DS450!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 04:19 PM

no, i didnt say that at all... i just said i didnt like how it looks.. i even said i thought it looked like a good quad, its just ugly. (imo) did you even read my first post?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 03:18 AM

Quote:
no, i didnt say that at all... i just said i didnt like how it looks.. i even said i thought it looked like a good quad, its just ugly. (imo) did you even read my first post?
Im kidding with you lol I think its butt ugly too, but that can always change

Soon to come DS450!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Im kidding with you lol I think its butt ugly too, but that can always change
Every test that i have read on the ds450 says it has the best stock suspenion on an atv. They said none of the other 450 comes close to the ds450 suspension. Even dirtwheels magazine said this and they always pick yamaha over any other atv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-AM DS450 Forum - DS-450Central Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page