Kayaba HPG Shocks - Can-AM DS450 Forum - DS-450Central Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

I've been trying to find some reviews on these shocks but haven't found anything. If the shocks are only average then I wouldn't get the x package and purchase after market suspension but if they are pretty good shocks then I'd go with the x package.

there is a $900 difference between the 2 packages
http://www.can-am.brp.com/en-US/Vehi...50X/Models.htm

they changed there site lastnight and it now has pricing.

if anyone knows anything about the shocks lets hear it!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I've been trying to find some reviews on these shocks but haven't found anything. If the shocks are only average then I wouldn't get the x package and purchase after market suspension but if they are pretty good shocks then I'd go with the x package.

there is a $900 difference between the 2 packages
http://www.can-am.brp.com/en-US/Vehi...50X/Models.htm

they changed there site lastnight and it now has pricing.

if anyone knows anything about the shocks lets hear it!!!!
Thanks! for the link to the pages, this is the first time I have been able to compare carefully the 450 and 450X models. I just noticed something. They seem to hype the Kayaba shocks as an upgrade on the 450X, but the same brand shocks are on the base model too. See, they say "KYB shocks..." on the base model. Check this link; http://www.kyb.com/hydraulic/index.html
Seems like KYB is Kayaba, the largest hydraulic component manufacturer in Japan. The difference between the shocks seems to be "high and low speed damping adjustment" present on the higher end model only. But the base model shows aluminum bodied, adjustable compression and rebound damping. And I think they are piggyback remote. Am I missing something? At first I was sold on the 450X. Now after reading the list of stuff you get with the X package, I am not so sure. I don't need the extra dampiong adjustment. I don't think I need the reinforced rims (although I like the black color so I guess I need some spraypaint), I dont want skid plates adding weight, and I kinda like yellow plastic over black anyway. I usually hate stock ergonomics and add a Rox riser to pull the bars back and up, so thats about the whole list, unless that shock damping adjustment difference is bigger than I imagine. Cool, I just saved a $1000.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

After doing some digging I found that Kayaba shocks are pretty common on many stock bikes. The ltr450 comes with these stock and I believe at some point the yfz450 did. this is the first time I have seen high / low speed compression. I have posted a similar topic on another more active site and the consenus seems to be that the x-package shocks, after you send them in and get them revalved will be near the level of elkas racing shocks. That is a heck of a price for that if its true.

After taking a closer look I'm thinking of going with the x package. I would be getting the skid plates, nerf bars, handlebars and riser anyways so that would only leave $400 more to get the wheels and shocks...... I've convinced myself that is a deal.. That and I like the black :)

I'm still not sure of the quality of the shocks. If they are 10 lbs heavier than racing shocks then I'd skip on the x-package and buy after market..

I just want a new dang bike and I'm hoping for the ds450(x?)

thanks for the link to kyb..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

After doing some digging I found that Kayaba shocks are pretty common on many stock bikes. The ltr450 comes with these stock and I believe at some point the yfz450 did. this is the first time I have seen high / low speed compression. I have posted a similar topic on another more active site and the consenus seems to be that the x-package shocks, after you send them in and get them revalved will be near the level of elkas racing shocks. That is a heck of a price for that if its true.

After taking a closer look I'm thinking of going with the x package. I would be getting the skid plates, nerf bars, handlebars and riser anyways so that would only leave $400 more to get the wheels and shocks...... I've convinced myself that is a deal.. That and I like the black :)

I'm still not sure of the quality of the shocks. If they are 10 lbs heavier than racing shocks then I'd skip on the x-package and buy after market..

I just want a new dang bike and I'm hoping for the ds450(x?)

thanks for the link to kyb... (would be nice if they had some info on shocks though)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 03:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to speeedfreek
the stock shocks are realy nice, john guetter made the record jump on stockers to so thats gota tell ya somthin. i got mine revalved by pep, front and rear came to under 600$ realy good deal and i gained an inch of travel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-AM DS450 Forum - DS-450Central Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page